I’m Louise, an independent documentary filmmaker based in Austin, Texas, born and raised in a small, sleepy town in Belgium. As a young girl, I found myself obsessed with observing the people around me, which fueled my imagination and sparked a lifelong hunger for getting into people’s worlds. Soon I began writing short stories and “producing” my own radio show on a Fisher Price tape recorder.
In 2012, I started my storytelling career as a reporter for a local news channel, but quickly realized I wanted more. I began my journey into the film world as a production assistant while simultaneously attending film school. I soon took on music, documentary and non-profit projects as a director and cinematographer, spanning from my home in Belgium to the Netherlands and Congo.
Since moving to the United States in late 2019, I have directed two short documentaries - The Conversation (2020) and Buck Fever (2021) - which have been broadcast on Belgian national television and have been selected at festivals around the globe.
Currently, I’m working on two documentary projects. Eastside Perseverance which follows Black urban cowboys in a gentrified Austin neighborhood as they go head-to-head with wealthy real estate investors. And The Drill, an in-depth look at the Texas school system where children face active shooter drills at an increasingly younger age.
BRIEF OUTLINE OF PROJECTS
* director short documentary ‘The Conversation’ (VRT, 2020) TEXAS, USA
* co-director/writer short documentary ‘Buck Fever’ (Lionheart Productions, 2020) TEXAS, USA
* director/editor short documentary on music group KOJO (Met-X, 2019) BELGIUM
* camera work/editor live sessions performed by upcoming artists (Sabam for Culture, 2017-2019) BELGIUM
* camera work/editor live music performances (Met-X, 2017-2019) BELGIUM
* director/camera work/editor short documentary “Encounters” (KVLV, 2016) BELGIUM
* director’s assistant/camera work documentary “White Cube” by Renzo Martens (PVH film, 2014-2016) BELGIUM, CONGO, THE NETHERLANDS
MASTER IN THE AUDIOVISUAL ARTS - DOCUMENTARY (2014) RITCS, School of Arts, BELGIUM
Graduation Project: ‘MamaMin’. A portrait of a woman’s life and her sudden, unsolved death
MASTER IN RADIO & TV JOURNALISM (2011) Erasmus University of Brussels, BELGIUM/AUSTRALIA
Graduation Project: ‘Brackish Water’. A look into Aboriginal People living on Milingimbi Island, torn between modern and traditional life